Jeffrey T. Angley is a principal and founding member of Phillips & Angley. Jeff is a distinguished trial attorney who has been actively trying cases for over thirty years. He began his career as a civil litigation generalist, trying all manner of civil disputes. More recently, over the past two decades, Jeff has concentrated his areas of practice to zoning, land use, real estate, telecommunications, and environmental litigation. Jeff counsels real estate developers, private land owners, neighbors and abutters, and institutional/corporate clients throughout Massachusetts. He practices primarily before the Massachusetts Land Court - a trial court of specialized jurisdiction over zoning, land use and real estate disputes.
Jeff, also has substantial experience practicing before the Massachusetts Superior Court, Appeals Court and Supreme Judicial Court, as well as the United States Federal District Court for the District of Massachusetts and First Circuit Court of Appeals. Jeff has tried more than 40 cases to judgment during his extensive career. In addition to trial advocacy, Jeff has appeared at innumerable quasi-judicial hearings and public meetings before local and state permitting authorities on behalf of his clients.
Areas Of Practice
- Land Use and Zoning Law and Litigation
- Real Estate Contract, Title and Boundary Disputes and Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions and Agreements
- Real Estate Development and Permitting
- Massachusetts, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 2000
- University of Maine School of Law, Portland, Maine
- J.D - 1984
- Colby College, Waterville
- B.A - 1980
- Honors: Honors Graduate with Distinction in Both Majors
- Major: Music and History
- Successfully defended commercial real estate developer, in Superior Court and on Appeal, in enforcing joint development agreement for buildout of subdivision access roads.
- Successfully defended Chapter 40A, Section 17 appeal in the Land Court of special permit for extraction of 250,000 cubic yards of sand and gravel for construction of solar field.
- Successfully defended landowner’s title to land from claims for prescriptive easement and adverse possession brought by abutting land owner in the Land Court and established permanent rights of passage and use of right of way over clients land.
- Successfully represented landowner in an action brought in the Land Court establishing the abandonment of easement rights over clients property thereby freeing property from express and implied access and use rights.
- Successfully represented kennel owner from claims by abutters challenging the scope of use rights in 1960’s variance decision.
- Successfully completed partition in the Land Court of approximately two miles of beachfront property and consolidation of title to a community-based entity for the care and management of the beach resource.
- Successfully represented land owner in claims against abutter regarding disputed title to a shared right of way and for damages for unauthorized entry and cutting and clearing of land pursuant to G.L. c. 242, § 7.
- Successfully represented telecommunications site developer in Telecommunications Act (TCA) litigation in Federal Court in the District of Massachusetts and the District of Rhode Island compelling numerous municipalities to grant permits for wireless tower sites to fill substantial gaps in wireless communications coverage.
- Successfully represented multiple telecommunications site developers before local zoning boards and other permit granting authorities in securing special permits and variances for the construction of wireless towers from municipalities across Massachusetts.
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 1985 to Present
- Massachusetts Bar Association , Member, 1985 to Present
- REBA (Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts)
- Delta Upsilon