We Help You Make Informed Decisions

Here’s What You Need to Know About Complaint for Contempt Cases


When someone doesn’t follow the judgement instructions presented in a previous legal case, this is called “Complaint for Contempt.” This article explores this concept and what you need to know about moving forward.

When you go to court to deal with a challenging legal issue, you trust that the situation will be resolved. Once a judge gives an order, it’s important that each party involved follow those orders precisely. This ensures you each have the most positive experience moving forward. In some cases, the other party involved in a real estate case may not actually follow the court’s orders. They may be in contempt. Dealing with someone who is in contempt of the court can be challenging, especially when you are dealing with real estate. When this happens, there are a few things you need to understand about your next steps.

What does Complaint for Contempt look like?

First off, it’s important to recognize what Complaint for Contempt actually is. A Complaint for Contempt does not mean that someone is doing something you dislike or that you suspect may be illegal. Instead, it means that someone is not following the judgment instructions based on a previous legal case. In a real estate situation, this could mean that someone parks in an area that has already been deemed “off-limits.” Perhaps they are running a business out of a location they were ordered not to. For example, if someone attempts to run a private business out of their home despite being court-ordered not to, this would be a real estate Complaint for Contempt.

What legal steps should you take?

If you are involved in a real estate case and you suspect that the other person has not been following the judgement instructions presented in court, you may be able to file a complaint. You may be asked to provide proof or evidence that backs up your suspicions that the other party is in contempt of the court. This includes showing evidence that there is a court order in place to protect the property or that prohibits certain behaviors from occurring on the property. You’ll also need to show evidence that the other person is aware of the court order and that a violation is taking place.

How can an attorney help?

When you meet with an attorney, it’s important to explain both the previous legal situation, as well as the current legal proceedings. This will let your attorney develop a better understanding of the situation you’re dealing with. Your lawyer can let you know what your next steps are for moving forward and can assist you in filling out the required paperwork and gathering documentation for your case.

When you’re dealing with this type of situation, it’s important to contact your attorney promptly to ensure you’re able to get the help you need to move forward. Your lawyer will help you deal with these types of cases in a timely fashion and can ensure you get the assistance you need to move forward.